General Assembly on French-Language Books Around the World
This event is one of the highlights of the 50th anniversary of La Francophonie and is part of the context of the Heads of State summit in November 2021 in Djerba. Recommendations stemming from the General Assembly will be made for book publishing and reading during this Summit.
After a preparatory phase undertaken over the past two years, the General Assembly will mark the completion of a broad consultation process with French-language book professionals around the world. More than 400 participants – political representatives, publishers, broadcasters, distributors, booksellers, librarians, printers, authors – will meet in Tunis and remotely.
The event is co-organised by France, the Ivory Coast, the Republic of Guinea, Quebec, the Swiss Confederation, Tunisia, the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, as well as the International Organisation of La Francophonie and thereby intends to take into account the full diversity of the French-language publishing space.
An ambitious project
The ambition of the General Assembly on French-Language Books Around the World is political, economic, cultural and educational and is guided by General Commissioner Sylvie Marcé. Its aim is to:
- Promote the diversity of intellectual and literary creation in the French language
- Contribute to developing the French-language publishing sector
- Improve circulation of French books, works and authors
- Integrate opportunities linked to digital technology
A concrete action plan accompanied by deliverables
With regard to the assessments carried out thanks to the preparatory phase undertaken since 2019, a concrete action plan has already been implemented, organised into four areas:
Area 1: Making those involved in the French language book sector more visible by implementing a digital network of those involved in the French language book sector
in partnership with the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie more information more information
Area 2: Envisaging the economic states of developing the French-language publishing market with
- A series of regional panoramas on the French-speaking book market being produced by the BIEF (Bureau international de l’Édition française) more information
- Producing a forward-planning economic study of the French-speaking book market in 2030 and 2050
Area 3: Removing obstacles identified to boost, decompartmentalise and balance the French language publishing market
through collaborative production of and official presentation to representatives of co-organising States and governments of a Book of Proposals, for new impetus in French language books in the world more information
Area 4: Developing reading and conscience of diversity in the French language space with young people by combining Education and Culture with:
- Establishing a collection of literary works in French for 15-25 year olds
- A strong connection with the Educational resources and its component Read to Learn project more information
Following the event, on 23 and 24 September in Tunis, all these deliverables will be made available on this page.