Étant Donnés Residencies
This program of residencies exists in response to the desire of many French artists to reside in the United States for 2 to 4 months and to develop their work and networks there. Its objective is to promote the professional integration of French artists into the American scene and to generate collaborative projects beyond the residency.
It is intended for French artists or artists who have been domiciled in France for more than 3 or 5 years, working in the visual arts, who wish to undertake a residency of from at least two months to a maximum of four months in the United States, to carry out specific research or an artistic project in partnership with an American institution. The artists must have identified a partner institution, or have begun a collaboration, in the United States, with a partner who will support the development of their project. They will also be supported by the Cultural Services teams of the French Embassy in the United States and the Institut français-Paris.
For more than twenty years Etant Donnés, the Franco-American fund for contemporary art, has made it possible to support contemporary French creation in the United States, collaboration between French and American institutions, and the development of a network of curators between the two countries.
Redefined in 2016 around new priorities, Etant Donnés today now comprises three areas:
- support for American institutions undertaking exhibitions and projects involving French or France-based artists;
- support for American exhibition curators wishing to pursue research in France in the field of contemporary art;
- support for French artists’ residencies in the United States provided that these residencies are in collaboration with an American partner (museum, art centre, university, gallery, etc.).
In 2019, four artists will be selected by the Etant Donnés jury:
- 3 French artists, or artists domiciled in France for more than 5 years, will be supported by the Institut français, receiving up to a maximum of €10,000 each for a residence of 2 to 4 months in the United States, in partnership with an American organisation;
- 1 French artist, or artist resident in France for more than 3 years, will be supported by the Professional Committee of Art Galleries, receiving €10,000 under the same conditions for a residency of 2 to 4 months in the United States, providing that the artist is represented by a professional gallery belonging to the Professional Committee of Art Galleries (CPGA).
Through the Etant Donnés Residencies, the Institut français and the Cultural Services of the Embassy of France in the United States are strengthening their partnership, alongside the FACE Foundation (French American Cultural Exchange) and the Professional Committee of Art Galleries (CPGA), with the support of the Ministry of Culture, the Florence Gould Foundation, the Helen Frankenthaler Foundation and the Professional Committee of Art Galleries, in order to better support the development of French artists in the United States and to promote new connections between the American and French scenes.
ImageResidencyMultidisciplinaryThe Villa KujoyamaFrom 13 December 2019 to 9 February 2020
ImageResidencyMultidisciplinaryRésidences sur mesure (Custom Residencies)From 16 September 2019 to 9 November 2019
ImageResidencyMultidisciplinaryArtist Collective ResidenciesFrom 3 July 2019 to 15 September 2019